The frequent criticisms of the Wii are, unfortunately, very apt today. The accusations of fluff games and kids games find their targets easily here, yet Nintendo seems optimistic as ever. With the sole exception of Punch-Out (itself the subject of other criticisms – franchise milking), the highlights of the 2009 lineup are looking mighty unexciting. Let’s see here:
- Excitebots: Trick Racing: Excite-type fun for the whole family. Minigames!
- Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat: A Gamecube game with motion controls!
- Punch-Out!!: Could be good, but almost certainly will not break any rules.
- Rhythm Heaven: Another rhythm game — big in Japan, but what isn’t, other than the iPhone?
- Personal Trainer: Walking: No comment.
- The Legendary Starfy: “Players dive into a spectacular undersea adventure with Starfy, the legendary hero of Pufftop.” Finally tapping into that under-4 demographic.
Well, it’s not all bad, but I’d say that a full 90% of the big list is fluff, franchise, and licensed games. Give me a break! Give us more MadWorld, give us more The World Ends With You, give us more Cave Story! Less Garfield games, less yearly EA crap, less Gamecube games repackaged with “New Play Control!”
At least there are folks like Atlus and Sega making some decent original content. I think I can wait to wade through the rest, though. Think I’ll give it another year before I buy into this generation.