Here’s a little info to prepare you for the arrival of Windows 7. Sure, it’s still well over a year away and sure, all this stuff could change at the drop of a hat, but let’s just run with it.
According to Technologizer, an early build of Windows 7 may contain some or all of the following:
– A fancier calculator.
– The Office 2007 Ribbon thing may cross over into WordPad and MS Paint.
– Potentially less annoying User Access Control.
– My Documents will be called Libraries? Come on Microsoft, there’s no need to rename that stuff all the time.
– Control Panel will have System Tray settings.
– There will be a lightweight version of Windows Media Player for playing videos.
– Internet Explorer 8
So nothing too earth-shattering yet, but there’s still plenty of development time. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has also been quoted as saying that he wants to make going from Vista to Windows 7 “less jarring,” which may mean fewer interface changes and (hopefully) not as much incompatible driver rigmarole.
You can get more Windows 7 information at Microsoft’s Engineering Windows 7 blog.
[Image from Thinknext.net]