I’m not going to get into the pricing on these – $649 for the DSM1 and $749.95 for the DSM2 – but they’re specially tuned for Digidesign’s Pro Tools and has both analog and digital inputs with 180W amplification. The front of speaker is pretty ho hum but look at all the little buttons on the back! On-board digital EQ and a 6.5″ cone driver should make your home recordings sound like a million bucks – or at least $500-$1000 bucks.
M-Audio Unveils Flagship Studiophile DSM Reference Monitors
Avid Audio companies M-Audio and Digidesign collaborate to deliver world-class monitoring solution
LOS ANGELES, August 25, 2008 — M-Audio, a part of Avid Technology, Inc. (Nasdaq: AVID), and a leading provider of creative tools for musicians, today unveiled the Studiophile® DSM1 and DSM2 reference monitors with built-in DSP for powerful sound processing. Developed in collaboration with professional audio DSP technology leader Digidesign – also an Avid company – the DSM series extends M-Audio’s legacy of cutting-edge monitor acoustics, transducer technology and amplification. The collaboration makes world-class reference technology accessible to a broad array of creative and professional environments.
M-Audio engineers worked closely with Digidesign to bring their expertise to the Studiophile DSM series. The monitors feature a powerful onboard DSP engine, which provides clear and accurate audio imaging by compensating for phase differences between the two drivers at the crossover point. The onboard DSP also manages a number of functions that enable users to tailor each speaker to their unique space and placement needs, for optimal monitoring in any environment. The custom-voiced components ensure hours of accurate listening without fatigue. The professional analog and digital inputs support studio-grade audio resolutions up to 24-bit/192kHz, in order to reveal every detail of music created with a digital audio workstation.
“The DSM monitors are a logical next step as we expand our position as a leader in the studio monitor market,” said Adam Castillo, marketing director at M-Audio. “We’re really pleased with the result of this collaboration between M-Audio and Digidesign – the quality of the DSM series speaks for itself.”
Studiophile DSM1 and DSM2 Features:
• 1” Teteron soft fabric, high-frequency dome with Neodymium magnet and ferrofluid cooling – accurate to 27kHz
• custom low-frequency driver with anodized aluminum cone provides exceptionally low distortion (6.5” on DSM1, 8” on DMS2)
• onboard DSP manages the complex, 4th-order digital crossover for pristine imaging
• DSP-based EQ and Acoustic Space Controls optimize the monitor for difficult acoustic environments
• bass-reflex port delivers controlled extended bass response
• high-density cabinet yields good damping and reduced acoustic interference
• professional digital inputs (up to 24-bit/192kHz): S/PDIF and AES
• balanced analog inputs: XLR and 1/4”
• bi-amplified with Class D power amps: 100 watts (low frequency) and 80 watts (high-frequency)