AMD wanted to get out of the DTV market for a bit now and just found a buyer. Broadcom, maker of chips and bits inside of broadcast equipment, is paying $192.8 million in cash to acquire all of AMD’s assests for the digital television bisiness.
AMD’s DTV assets include Xilleon integrated DTV processors and reference designs, NXT receiver ICs, the Theater 300 DTV processor, and a line of panel processors that perform advanced motion compensation, frame rate conversion and scaling.
We aren’t sure how this is going to affect the PC DTV market, but hopefully, Broadcom will keep the AMD/ATI ball rolling and pump out more digital tuners for our computers.
- Founded 1969
- Overview AMD is an American semiconductor company that develops computer processors and related technologies for both commercial and consumer markets. They produce primarily microprocessors, motherboard chipsets, embedded processors, and graphics processors. The company was founded in 1969. They are now the second largest producer of x86 chips in the market.
- Location Sunnyvale, California
- Categories Hardware + Software
- Website http://www.amd.com
- Full profile for AMD
- Founded 1991
- Overview Broadcom Corporation engages in the design, development, and supply of semiconductors for wired and wireless communications equipment manufacturers. The companyâ€™s products enable the delivery of voice, video, data, and multimedia to and throughout the home, office, and mobile environment. It provides a portfolio of system-on-a-chip and software solutions to manufacturers of computing and networking …
- Location Irvine, California
- Categories Semiconductors, Mobile
- Website http://www.broadcom.com
- Full profile for Broadcom
- Overview Allegheny Technologies Incorporated is one of the largest and most diversified specialty materials and components producers in the world with revenues of approximately $3.9 billion for the last twelve months. ATI has approximately 9,500 full-time employees world-wide who use innovative technologies to offer global markets a wide range of specialty materials solutions.
- Location Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Full profile for ATI