Sanyo announced the successor model to its Xacti HD700 720p camcorder today, the HD800 [JP]. The new cam comes with an 8 megapixel 1/2.5-inch CMOS sensor, and shoots 720p video (1280×720) at 30fps in MPEG4 format.
Features include SD/SDHC support, a “face chaser” function for up to 12 persons, 5x optical zoom and a 2.7-inch LCD screen. Sanyo also developed a “three-dimensional digital noise reduction” (3DDNR) filter to improve the video quality over the HD700.
The HD800 will be sold in Japan from August 22nd for $460 (in gold, pink and black). No word yet on availability and pricing outside this country.
Press release in English after the jump (original text).
SANYO’s Sleek, Slim HD*1 Xacti Digital Video Image Quality Improved
One unit takes both HD videos and high-resolution stills, and easy to use with the Internet!
Tokyo, July 30, 2008 – SANYO Electric Co., Ltd. (SANYO) announces the DMX-HD800, a new sleek, slim high definition dual camera Xacti that can take both stills and videos. The camera sports a compact and light-weight body, and easily saves data onto SD/SDHC memory cards for convenience. The DMX-HD800 will take stills and videos used on a personal computer or for the Web, houses a new three-dimensional digital noise reduction (3DDNR) filter, and adds the ‘Face Chaser’ for both stills and videos with an active scanner visible on the monitor.
On the new product launch, Hideki Toyoda, General Manager of SANYO’s Digital System Company, DI Company Products Planning Department, said, “The DMX-HD800 has not only has it been designed to be sleek and stylish, but it now offers our unique three-dimensional digital noise reduction (3DDNR) filter, which allows clear, beautiful images with simple operation of a dual camera offering high resolution stills and HD videos in a single unit.”
1. Compact, light-weight camera capable of high definition movies compatible with personal computers and/or upload video data to the Internet
– Easily drag and drop recorded files on to the hard drive or upload to the Internet
– Ideal for website-use/blog-use videos as well as standard video creation
– Take either high definition videos (1280 x 720, 720p) or 8.0-Megapixel stills with one unit
– Snap photos anytime, even during video filming, without changing modes or pausing the viedo
– Preview the frame for photos while still recording video with the one-push ‘Photo View’ button
– Uses AVC/H.264 codec format for longer, higher quality recording than traditional codecs
2. Built-in, newly developed ‘3-dimension Noise Reduction’ (3DDNR) filter allows for more vivid and clear videos
– Uses the same, low-power consuming engine as the Full HD DMX-HD1010
– Through new 3DDNR filter, it is possible to decrease significantly the random noise that vacillates over time
– New CMOS sensor adoption allows faster image processing, up to 1.7 x more than the previous equivalent model
– CMOS sensor allows sharper feeling images by increasing the diagonal high-frequency component (sharpness)
– Image compression codec algorithms have been updated
– Optimized signal processing functions such as compression codec algorithm, gamma characteristics and edge treatment as well as the enhancement of basic performance functions all contribute to the improvement of quality in resolution, coloration and recording in dark places
3. Create beautiful memories easily with newly developed high-precision ‘Face Chaser’ function for both videos and stills
– Able to detect up to 12 faces in both videos and stills
– Face recognition database has been increased 5 times over the previously used database for face recognition
– Function upgraded with new method for regulation for even diagonal movement, improving precision
– Upgrades allow for higher quality photographic subject recording in both videos and stills
– Functions for face detection in videos upgraded to adjust focus and follow subject in real-time during recording, prioritizing the subject (person) as the focus of the recording
– ‘Digital Image Stabilizer’ senses camera revolution and photographic subject movement
– Original DVD authoring and editing on the computer made easy with bundled ‘Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0’
– Continuous shot function allows more photo opportunities (8.0- /2.0-Megapixels)
– ‘Simple Mode’ operability available for first time users and and ‘Manual Mode’ operability for more advanced users
– Long-lasting battery allows up to 250 stills or 90 minutes of continuous video filming
– ‘Photo view button’ for smooth transition of monitor between videos and stills
– In-camera video editing (cutting & pasting) function
– Allows recording and playback of videos up to 4GB continuously
– Record in low-light scenes with camera’s low-light mode compatible down to 3 lux
– Confirm that faces are being detected with new LCD monitor display showing which subject is main
– Optional AV-connection kit available for camera to be used with ‘Xacti Library’ which includes saving of files by dates taken