I applaud the Beeb’s white hat hacking of Facebook. (Reminder: for all your black hat needs, look no further.) Whereas the AP was content a few days ago to sound the alarm over Facebook apps using your info for stupid purposes, the BBC hired someone to do some real theoretical damage.
What’s most scary about the application developed by the Beeb is that you yourself don’t have to install the application; you’re just a vulnerable if one of your dumb app-happy friends installs it.
I sincerely hope there’s a large-scale security breach at Facebook so as to scare straight its less savvy users.
- Founded 2004
- Overview Facebook is an online social networking service that allows its users to connect with friends and family as well as make new connections. It provides its users with the ability to create a profile, update information, add images, send friend requests, and accept requests from other users. Its features include status update, photo tagging and sharing, and more. Facebook’s profile structure includes …
- Location Menlo Park, California
- Categories Communities, Colleges, Identity, All Students, Facebook Applications, Social Media
- Founders Mark Zuckerberg
- Website http://www.facebook.com
- Full profile for Facebook
- Founded 1922
- Overview BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) is a large-scale broadcasting corporation that offers content to inform, educate, and entertain. It is a public service broadcaster, established by a Royal Charter and funded by the license fee that is paid by the U.K. households. In the U.K., the BBC provides 10 network television services, 10 network radio services, 46 radio services in the nations and regions …
- Location London, England
- Categories News
- Website http://www.bbc.co.uk
- Full profile for BBC