The cost of your next notebook might just be subsidized by a wireless carrier. Acer today announced the Aspire 5920 notebook, which will contain a WiMax chipset and will be sold by upcoming WiMax providers like Sprint along with service packages, much like mobile phones are sold.
The notebook is currently being manufactured by Taiwan’s Quanta Computer and will actually be available to all WiMax operators (not just Sprint), but they won’t be for sale “until Sprint or other companies start selling the devices with their WiMax services,” according to IDG News Service.
- Founded 1976
- Overview Acer is a hardware and electronics corporation that offers a range of hardware products and e-business services to businesses and consumers. Acer’s product portfolio includes desktop and laptop PCs, tablet computers, servers, storage devices, displays, smartphones, home network solutions, projectors, and peripherals. Acer’s ICT solutions and services include information security management, mobility …
- Location Taipei, T'ai-pei
- Categories Consumer Electronics, Hardware + Software
- Website http://www.acer-group.com/public
- Full profile for Acer
- Founded 1999
- Overview Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two wireless networks serving almost 49 million customers at the end of the second quarter of 2009; industry-leading …
- Location Overland Park, Kansas
- Categories Wireless, Mobile
- Website http://sprint.com
- Full profile for Sprint Nextel
- Website N/A
- Full profile for WiMax