Apple is a computer company before all else, this much is fact. The iPhone is far more computer than phone, and besides its design, that is why it’s so popular. It reinvented the cellphone industry in no small way, and it happened because Apple isn’t a phone company.
Neither is Google, but the Android OS is on some levels more exciting than the iPhone. And now rumors are swirling that Alienware, the gaming computer company, is working on its own superphone, based on Android.
Alienware makes impressive hardware, and if it can fold that experience into a handheld device, we could well see a whole new market of handsets evolve, leaving phone makers in the past.
Alienware Planning Android iPhone Killer? [Slashdot]
- Description Android is a software platform for mobile devices based on the Linux operating system and developed by Google and the Open Handset Alliance. It allows developers to write managed code in Java that utilizes Google-developed software libraries, but does not support programs developed in native code. The unveiling of the Android platform on 5 November 2007 was announced with the founding of the Open …
- Website http://code.google.com/android
- Full profile for Android
- Founded 1998
- Overview Google is a multinational corporation that is specialized in internet-related services and products. The company’s product portfolio includes Google Search, which provides users with access to information online; Knowledge Graph that allows to search for things, people, or places as well as builds systems recognizing speech and understanding natural language; Google Now, which provides information …
- Location Mountain View, California
- Categories Software, Video Streaming, Email, Search, Information Technology, Blogging Platforms
- Founders Larry Page, Sergey Brin
- Website http://www.google.com
- Full profile for Google
- Description Apple's iPhone was introduced at MacWorld in January 2007 and officially went on sale June 29, 2007, selling 146,000 units within the first weekend of launch. The phone has been hailed as revolutionary with its bundle of advanced mobile web browsing, music and video playback, and touch screen controls. The iPhone is exclusively carried on the networks of both AT&T and Verizon in the U.S. An iPhone …
- Website http://www.apple.com/iphone
- Full profile for iPhone
- Founded 1996
- Overview Alienware Corporation manufactures computer desktops, notebooks, media center, professional and recertified systems, and gear shop accessories. Its products are used by gaming, home life, entertainment, business, and government customers in the United States, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. The company was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Miami, Florida. It has a call center in Costa Rica, …
- Location Miami, Florida
- Categories Hardware + Software
- Website http://www.alienware.com
- Full profile for Alienware