Remember two days ago? That was when taskmaster John Biggs told us about the $200 Everex PC.
Well today it’s been announced that Everex “will bring Linux laptops under $300 to users next year.”
How do you like them apples? There will be two versions — one with a 12.1-inch screen and one with a 17-inch screen. They’ll both be running the same Google-friendly “gOS” (based on Ubuntu) found on the $200 desktop.
That’s about all we know so far, except that Everex “also plans to introduce other mobile devices like ultramobile PCs.” Hopefully those devices will carry similarly low price tags as well.
Everex Readies Sub-$300 Linux Notebooks [PC World]
- Founded 1998
- Overview Google is a multinational corporation that is specialized in internet-related services and products. The company’s product portfolio includes Google Search, which provides users with access to information online; Knowledge Graph that allows to search for things, people, or places as well as builds systems recognizing speech and understanding natural language; Google Now, which provides information …
- Location Mountain View, CA
- Categories Search, Email, Blogging Platforms, Information Technology, Video Streaming, Software
- Website http://www.google.com
- Full profile for Google
- Founded 2004
- Overview Ubuntu is a Linux distribution aimed at making Linux a user friendly operating system. It is supported by Canonical. Available free of charge, it comes as Desktop Edition and Server Edition. Ubuntu releases a new edition every six months. Each edition gets security updates for at least eighteen months.
- Location London, England
- Categories Operating Systems, Software
- Founders Mark Shuttleworth
- Website http://www.ubuntu.com
- Full profile for Ubuntu
- Founded 1983
- Overview Everex ("Ever for Excellence") is a manufacturer of desktop and laptop personal computers. It was established in 1983 and headquartered in Fremont, California. The company was founded by Steve Hui, John Lee and Wayne Cheung. The Personal Computer Division of Everex was founded by Bruce Dunlevie, currently of Benchmark Capital. In 1988, Everex was the leader in tape backup sales with half …
- Location Fremont, California
- Categories Linux, Search, Cloud Computing, Hardware + Software
- Website http://www.everex.com
- Full profile for Everex