AllFacebook is running a rumor that Facebook is prepping an online music store that will see it compete with Apple’s dominant iTunes. A competing story by PaidContent says the new product is to be a music platform for artists and will compete directly with MySpace, not iTunes.
According to the posts, Facebook has been searching for someone tolead the new division and has been pursuing agreements with a number of record labels.
This is bad news for the the new iLike artist platform on Facebook, which launched today. But as we’ve said before, if you play in Facebook’s sandbox, don’t be upset when Facebook wants to play there, too.
- Founded 1976
- Overview Apple is a multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, and markets mobile communication and media devices, personal computers, portable digital music players, and sells a variety of related software, services, peripherals, networking solutions, and third-party digital content and applications. Apple provides many products and services, including iPhone; iPad; iPod; Mac; iPod; Apple TV; …
- Location Cupertino, CA
- Categories Hardware + Software, Consumer Electronics, Computers, Electronics, Retail
- Website http://www.apple.com
- Full profile for Apple
- Founded 2004
- Overview Facebook is an online social networking service that allows its users to connect with friends and family as well as make new connections. It provides its users with the ability to create a profile, update information, add images, send friend requests, and accept requests from other users. Its features include status update, photo tagging and sharing, and more. Facebook’s profile structure includes …
- Location Menlo Park, CA
- Categories Social Media, Colleges, All Students, Identity, Communities
- Website http://www.facebook.com
- Full profile for Facebook
- Founded 2005
- Overview Launched in July 2005, Bebo has steadily risen to become one of the world's most popular social networking sites. Users can create profiles on the site for free, stay connected with friends, watch videos, and listen to music. In early 2008 Bebo had over 34 million registered users and 7 billion monthly page views. Bebo's founders have extensive experience in online social networking, having been …
- Location San Francisco, CA
- Categories Social Media, Social Network Media
- Founders Michael Birch
- Website http://www.manglameducation.com
- Full profile for MANGLAM EDUCATION
- Founded 2012
- Overview Born out of Garageband.com, iLike is a social music discovery site. Valued at $53.2 million in December of 2006, iLike has been funded by the likes of former MTV CEO Bob Pittman and at the time of the valuation, by Ticketmaster (IAC) which took control of 25% of the company for $13.3 million. According to iLike, it promotes music democracy by exposing artists that users have not heard of, but may …
- Location Seattle, WA
- Categories Social Media, Artists Globally
- Website http://www.ilike.com/
- Full profile for iLike
- Description iTunes is a digital media player app that can be used to play, download, and organize digital audio and more.
- Website N/A
- Full profile for iTunes